No wonder that not many people around the world outside theater connoisseurs really know about the extent of this fantastic event, in which for about 2 weeks theater companies, circuses and performers from all continents take Bogota's street by storm, because, to be honest event most of us, the common non-theater-related people in Bogota are notaware that this is, in fact, the biggest theater showcase in the world....
So let me tell you what is hapening from 19th of March and during the following 17 days in Bogota.... gosh! is amazing how much our cultural scene has grown over the past 22 years and that I'm only realizing it while I think how to write the rest of this post.
This year is the fifth edition of Ciudad Teatro - Theater City which is a basically a huge city within the city. In 2008 the Theater City was visited by over 600.000 people in 16 days. This year is held in Compensar which is an enourmous venue that I could easily say is twice as big as a 70.000 people stadium. We will have so much going on that I'm just going to list it because I want you to know EVERYTHING about it. So, in 16 days would be able to see:
- 128 Childrens theater acts
- 321 street theater acts (local and international)
- 45 circus acts
- 66 story tellers
- 32 children' story readings
- 36 comedy acts
- 7 match improvisations
- 42 musical acts
- 35 bands (Including Bomba Estereo!)
- Muppets for grown-ups
- Stand up comedy
- and more, and more and moooore!
Not to mention all other plays that will be held in the stadium, the coliseo cubierto, la plaza de toros and all three branches of the Fundacion Teatro Nacional with a very modern version of the classics like Eurípides, Shakespeare or Dostoyevski and a fantastic variety of circus from France, Spain, Italy and Canada. There is also a very special space for scenic art students during the festival. They, toguether with actors, dancers, directors and tecnitians have the chance to meet and interact with some of the most important professionals through FREE talks, simposiums and so much more that if I told you all about it this entry would be huge!
Here are some tips in case you're lucky enough to be around Bogota during the festival
- Prices can vary from US$8 ($15.000) to US$50 ($100.000)
- Buy your tickets from tuboleta.com but they only take local credit cards
- Also in any of Juan Valdes' branches
- You can fill in a form, take it to the La Casa del Festival Carrera 19 No 37-53 and get special prices
- You can also buy tickets at each venue
- Leonardus: Cra. 21 No. 127-05
- Auditorio León de Greiff: Cra. 30 No. 45-03
- Palacio de los Deportes: Calle 63 No. 42-00
- Coliseo El Campín: Diagonal 57 con carrera 30
- Plaza de Toros: Cra. 6 No. 26-50
- Teatro R101: Calle 70A No.11-29
- PRD: Cra. 60 No.63-65
- Casa Ensamble: Av. 24 No. 41-69
- Here is the link to the programe in closed venues
- Here the one for the free stuff
- And this is the link for the Theater City program
I hope you get the chance to enjoy the this spectacular event. Unfortunatelly none of the information available is in english so as always if you have any questions just e-mail me!
Marcela - Colombia Travel
**All pictures on this post have been taken from various sources. Credits to FITB, Cambio 16, Kai Försterling, Nebbia, El Espectador, Carlos Pereyra, ZID.